Saturday, September 26, 2009

Living a week in the North

So yes I am bad at blogging. It is now an official fact. I but now that this is known, lets just go off the fact,"better late than never". Here is my update on life and boy can I say that I am exhausted over here! Two weeks ago we left on our trip to Northern England. It was jam-packed going from one place to the other. Here our some of my more exciting experiences from each day of the trip.

Day 1
For most of you who do not know, I am terrified of heights. It all goes back to my days hiking in Yellowstone and a story that doesn't need to be told right now but ended up with my caring parents buying me a worry rock and yeah.... Our group decided that it would be fun to climb a tower and see the view of York. Well they didn't mention that this little adventure involved crossing an oversized rain gutter. I know what everyone is thinking, they wouldn't make you cross something that you could get injured on. Well I am accident-prone as everyone knows. haha so go me! I did it! The view was worth it. I felt like Willy Wonka when he blasts through the roof at the end of the movie.


Day 2

I did not inherit my mother's Irish luck. When I woke up in the morning I tried to use the zoom button on my camera and the lens decided that it permanently wanted to remain open. My humanities Professor's youngest daughter, Emma, let me borrow her camera for that day. I am so grateful for Emma because that day we saw probably my favorite thing on the trip, Fountains Abbey. I love landscapes, I do not know if it is my years growing up watching pride and prejudice or what, but I loved walking here. I loved the contrast of the ruins of the stone cathedral with the blue blue sky and the amazing almost neon grass.

Day 3
On day three we went to the lake district. It was beautiful and we just walked/drove around the lake. Can I just say that one of the things I was ready to get rid of by the end of the trip was the bus. Sitting instead of walking is definitely something I do not prefer. We went to the famous Beatrix Potter's house in the Lake District.

Day 4
Church History. On Thursday and part of Friday we went on a church history tour in Preston and Liverpool. It was fun to hear all about the church and its history in England. We learned all about where the missionaries including prophets such as Gordon B. Hinckley preached. In Liverpool on the fifth day we learned all about the docks, and how many emigrants sailed to the Americas, including many recent converts to the church who traveled to Utah. (More to come from these days on my learning in London blog)

Day 5
Beatles Museum and Dacri's house in Pride and Prejudice. Need I say more?



This trip was so much fun but I was glad to get off the bus and back into my comfy bed in the London Center.

No comments: